Posted to alt.home.repair
Eric in North TX Eric in North TX is offline

Default Dug well- electric *and* pitcher pump?

On Jul 20, 4:06*pm, Jim Elbrecht wrote:
*Eric in North TX wrote:

On Jul 20, 11:01*am, Jim Elbrecht wrote:

-snip-
Can I just drop a 1 1/4 plastic pipe into the well with a check valve
on the end, then 'T' it to the 2 pumps?

-snip-

A shallow well pump should pull that ok, but the pitcher pump teed
into the line would likely be a huge vacuum leak.
If you could put a valve between the pitcher pump and the tee, it
should be fine. If having to turn a valve to use the pitcher pump
would be a bother, you could use an electric valve, normally open,
wired to close when the electric pump came on it would be automatic.
If you could give up a little aesthetic value, a hydrant would work on
the pressure side.

Wonder if a second check valve would work? *Or would I actually need
3- one to protect each pump, and one to keep the pipe full.. *. . *by
then I might better just drop two lines into the well.

Or is the pitcher pump unlikely to draw a vacuum on the electric?

Jim

Thinking that through further; a check valve isolating each pump
should do it.