Posted to rec.woodworking
Tom Watson Tom Watson is offline

Default Gary Knox Bennett

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 14:21:10 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Jul 20, 12:40*pm, Tom Watson wrote:
On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 09:10:28 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

wrote:

*Yawn*

Yeah. *I wouldn't figure you'd like something having to do with actual
woodworking.

Sorry, bro', but a zig-zag arrangement of pink and green floral
cushions is just too gay.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Irony is a difficult thing to pull off.

Witness the current problem that The New Yorker is having with it.

It depends on the intelligence of the recipient.

In the case of The New Yorker they apparently ran into people who
think that Colbert really is what he portrays (I'm not a right wing
commentator but I play one on TV).

My guess is that they did not think that it would have an impact
outside of their demographic of educated readers.

In the instance of Mr. Bennett he was depending on you to get that he
was commenting on the zig zag chair of similar design produced by the
(and this included irony is entirely too delicious) Dutch architect
Gerrit Rietveld.

He gave you a clue in his naming of the piece, "Great Granny
Rietveld”.

Bennett thinks that most architects design ****ty furniture.

I'm inclined to agree.

If you would like to defend the honor of your homeboy - by all means
have at it.

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker
http://home.comcast.net/~tjwatson1/