Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak[_2_] willshak[_2_] is offline

Default Experience with Home Depot or Lowe's Wood Fence Purchase/Installation?

willshak wrote:
Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Sat 19 Jul 2008 08:21:54p, willshak told us...

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
We would like to fence in our back yard with 6' x 8' wood fence panels
(I would guess using 4" x4" posts). Wood choices would be probably
white pine, white cedar, red cedar, or redwood for the panels. The
total perimeter is approximately 200 lineal feet. We would probably
need/want two gates. We will probably use either Home Depot or Lowe's
for both product and contracted installation. We live in Mesa,
Arizona, so would only be concerned with heat issues since we get very
little rain and (obviously) no snow or ice. Overall cost is some
consideration.
I would welcome opinions on choice of material as well as any
recommendation of Home Depot vs. Lowe's. I understand that both
companies engage or arrange for independent contractors for
installation.
We're not quite ready to get estimates, so thought I would ask here
first.
TIA

Why HD or Lowes? No fencing companies in your area of Arizona?

I'm sure there are plenty, but my guess is that they would be more
expensive. Cost is a consideration. When we get to the point of
getting estimates, I'm sure we'll include other options beside HD and
Lowe's. But I did want opinions...

Lowes or HD do not have their own installers for anything. They contract
local installers for everything they sell, and usually at the cheapest bid.
Compare before you buy, anywhere.

I shouldn't have clicked on "Send" when I did.
If you have a problem with a HD or Lowes installation, you complain to
the store. They complain to the local installer, who may, or may not
come around to fix the problem in a timely manner, if at all. After all,
they did not contract with you, the store did.
When you deal directly with that local installer and like what he/she
says, only pay half at the start, with the remaining paid at the end of
a satisfactory installation. If it doesn't suit your expectations and is
not what was agreed upon, withhold the final payment and take pictures,
in case there is a court case.
I've dealt with substandard contractors where I have followed the above
and have saved thousands of $ for shoddy and unfinished work.
i.e. Fence installed around pool. Contractor installed the whole fence
except for the gate that entered the pool area (required by law before a
CO can be granted). Numerous calls produced no response. Bought and
installed the fence gate myself so the pool could be used. Never was
asked, nor paid the $1000 still owed on the installation.
2. Same pool. Successfully sued a concrete contractor in Small Claims
court for allowing a pile of concrete to dry in a pile before he and his
unexperienced workers could get it all down and smooth it out for a
sidewalk around a pool ( he didn't want to pay the extra time for the
concrete truck, so had the driver drop all the concrete in a pile in the
sidewalk area which had to be pneumatically removed).
I didn't save any money on this, but had to pay a few $ more, since I
had to hire someone else to come in and remove the concrete and install
a proper sidewalk.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY