Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak[_2_] willshak[_2_] is offline

Default split A/C - two indoor units? Heat pump?

willshak wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:
willshak wrote:
Nate Nagel wrote:

willshak wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

willshak wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

Nate Nagel wrote:

Another poster suggested Mitsubishi or LG
but in my mind neither one of those brands is associated with
longevity
or reliability.

I'd suggest you look a lot more closely. Those are both
reliable, high
quality brands. Your lack of familiarity with them is
largely due to
their lack of presence in the US HVAC market. Both brands
are quite
big
outside the US market where the mini split systems are the
norm vs.
the
US norm of large central units.

Well, I am a car guy, which gives me a serious mistrust of
anything
branded with the triple diamond. Their cars are, in a word,
****, with
the possible exception of the original Eclipse which they
somehow
miraculously made reasonably reliable.

Their trucks seem to be plenty popular.

My only exposure to LG is asking for opinions on home
appliances, and
the consensus seems to be the same (although to be fair, some
fine,
once-proud American brands are peddling the same
made-in-china crap)

LG is *NOT* made in China. LG is Korean and has been around
for a long
time with an excellent history.

so are you saying that this doesn't necessarily apply to
their HVAC
products?

I'm saying it doesn't apply to *ANY* of their products. You
need to take
another look at who LG is, and the other brand names they have
used over
the years. They used to use the Goldstar brand name in the US
(the G in
LG), always maligned by most as a "cheap piece of crap" until
they
realized that the item they just called a "piece of crap" had
been
working flawlessly for a couple decades.

See, this doesn't give your post a whole lot of credibility.
Mitsubishi cars are notorious ****, just ask anyone that bought a
Chrysler and then found out that it had a Mitsu engine in it.
If it's
not smoking like a hot turd after five years, you either should
play
the lottery or don't drive it. I've also heard of plenty of
people
with LG washers and/or dryers, and a lot of them have had
problems.
(problems with a washer or dryer? those ought to be pretty
much plug
and play for a decade or more.)

My point was, I don't feel like dropping a couple grand on
something
that's going to crap out on me after five years or less, and
that is
what I expect of those two companies.

nate

Then here's a suggestion. Don't buy anything from anyone,
because no
matter how great a product is touted, you "will" get the one
lemon in
the whole bunch.

Gee, I'm sorry I offended your sensibilities. See, I do take your
advice to some extent - I very rarely make large purchases,
because I
maintain my equipment and expect it to last a long time.
Therefore, I
tend to take some care when I *do* make large purchases, so I
don't get
stuck with crap. Hence, I'd be more likely, say, to buy a GM
product
with a 3.8 rather than a Taurus or, yes, a Mitsubishi. I like
products
with a proven track record of reliability, or if I can't
establish that,
a manufacturer with a proven track record of reliability. Simply
saying
"Mitsubishi products are reliable" doesn't wash with me because I
know
that at least SOME of their products are ****. I'm so sorry that I
wasted your time with an honest question that still hasn't
received a
straight answer.

You have received a straight answer, you just didn't like it.

The LG and Mits. mini-split HVAC units *do* have a proven track
record
of reliability, you just have to look outside the US where those
products have been common and popular for a long time. The fact that
they are relatively new to the US in no way detracts from their
history
outside the US.

OK, I'll accept that, although I might want to see some evidence of
that.

the statement that "I'm saying it doesn't apply to *ANY* of their
(Mitsubishi and LG's) products" which is what was stated earlier in
this thread, is FALSE. I've heard quite enough to know that there's
some products from both of those companies that I am perfectly happy
staying far, far away from.

I'm gonna talk to my dog about the difference between Korea and
Japan, and LG and Mitsubishi. He'll probably understand.

Huh? I'm aware that they are two separate companies. I'm saying
that BOTH have a poor track record with their most visible (at least
to me) products in the US.

nate

Oh, LOL, Please stop, Nate, LOL, I can't take any more laughing. LOL.
You ****ed up, admit it, LOL.

Where did I **** up?

Please don't mention Mitsubishi cars when referring to heat pumps again.
Really! LOL

Are you saying that the company that makes Mitsu cars is a different
company than the one that makes Mitsu HVAC equipment? I'm aware that
it's a huge company and that one division might make a significantly
higher quality product than another, but given that Mitsu cars are
SUCH crap, can't you understand why I might be hesitant to buy
anything made by the same company without some reassurance?

Jeez, is tonight asshole night on AHR?

Well, it could be, you're here. LOLOLOLO

I missed a Loud at the end. Sorry!

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY