Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What abrasive wheels for lathe bit grinding

On 2008-07-19, Ignoramus2031 wrote:

[ ... ]

Also, I have a lot of 3/4" lathe tooling, all brand name (kennametal
and carboloy), and it does not fit the BXA holder. I think that I will
mill that stuff down to 5/8" square.

I've done this (3/4" to 5/8"), and I have one significant
suggestion:

Mill off the *bottom* of the shank, not the top. The height of
the cutting tip of an index is about level with the top of the shank,
and if you mill off the top of the shank the cutting tip may not lower
enough to match the center height of the lathe. There is a limit to the
adjustment range on a quick-change toolpost.

I used a wide conventional milling cutter in a horizontal mill,
not the end of a vertical, which may burn on the rather tough steel of
the shank if you aren't careful.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564