Posted to sci.electronics.repair
stan74 stan74 is offline

Default Very old GE TV dies- what could be wrong?

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 13:26:54 -0400, Meat Plow wrote:
....... My next step
would be to observe just how it shuts down. Does it appear as if someone
just hit the off button?

Yes, the failure is exactly like someone hitting the OFF button.

Does it display any anomalies either sound or
picture-wise or does it again just look like it was turned off?

No anomalies-- it just goes off. However, just recently and only while
this problem has been going on, I've noticed that while the TV is briefly
working, a station *might* suddenly turn to static- just static sound and
no picture. I switch to another channel and all is OK with that one and
with the others. [We only get 6 free, broadcast TV channels in my city.]

Does the TV get its AC source from the converter?

No, and I've disconnected the TV from the Magnavox HD converter box. The
power comes thru the cord plugged into the wall outlet (via an extension
cord). Other things connected to this same outlet are fine: a box fan and
a clock.

If it just shuts off like you
turned it off I would first suspect the power supply then measure some
voltages therein to see what happens as/when it shuts down.

Thanks Meat Plow for your help. Since I never deal with or mess with
electronics, I might be able to find someone who knows how to do these
tests.

[To contact me, drop one ' i '.]