Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Platt Dave Platt is offline

Default Very old GE TV dies- what could be wrong?

In article , CJT wrote:

The other day I turned on the TV, it worked fine for a few minutes and
then suddenly goes dead. This pattern can be repeated after a short rest
of the TV: it goes on, picture looks fine and sound is OK and then suddenly
dies -- goes totally silent and black -- after a few minutes running.

One can't be certain, but I'll hazard a guess --

Assuming it's a color set, it'll have a protective circuit that shuts it
down (in order to avoid X-ray emissions) if the picture tube begins to
draw too much current. Either that circuit is failing/has drifted out
of tolerance, or something else causes the current draw to enter the
"danger" zone once the set warms up.

There might also be a cracked solder joint on the board, which is
opening and closing as a result of thermal cycling when the set warms
up. A bad joint in the right place could shut down portions of the
set's power supply.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO