Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2031 Ignoramus2031 is offline

Default What abrasive wheels for lathe bit grinding

On 2008-07-19, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus2031 wrote:

What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

It is enough.

Green wheels will grind carbide but I sure don't like the looks of result. A diamond
wheel is SOOOO much better. DO NOT USE FOR STEEL.

Steel, aluminum oxide. I tried to grind HSS using the green wheels on my Harbor Fright
tool grinder, sloooow.

The way you shop auctions, I expect to see you with a baldor tool grinder you got for a
song.

Sure wish Harrold would come back to the group.

Wes, I come across baldor tool grinders all the time and sold a few
already. Another one will come up one day. That all should not be a
problem. For now, I will mount a diamond wheel on a regular bench
grinder, it will save some space and should be OK.

But here's where I am confused: a lot of lathe bits with carbide ends,
have carbide brazed to steel shanks. Can I grind that with a diamond
grinder or not? Steel will definitely be ground along with carbide.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/