Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus2031 Ignoramus2031 is offline

Default What abrasive wheels for lathe bit grinding

On 2008-07-19, Dave August wrote:
Iggy,

1/3 Hp is fine.. this is all about finesse not brute strength...

HSS or cobalt, grind on any wheel you have...

Carbide, "green wheel", best done with a water drip too.

Truely... toss all that stuff and get some T*** holders, you'll be happy you
did.

Dave, I actually followed your advice and bought a BXA style holder
from Enco. It arrived a few days ago.

Today, I machined the supplied oversize "nut" to fit into the slot on
my lathe. Everything fits very well. The holder seems to be extremelly
well thought out and seems to work great so far.

I am very happy and want to thank you. I have a few lathe bits that
fit, hss and carbide ended, but a lot of them need regrinding.

Also, I have a lot of 3/4" lathe tooling, all brand name (kennametal
and carboloy), and it does not fit the BXA holder. I think that I will
mill that stuff down to 5/8" square.