Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default What abrasive wheels for lathe bit grinding

Ignoramus2031 wrote:

What do you use to grind lathe bits (carbide ends or HSS) and is 1/3
HP grinder enough. thanks

HSS lathe tooling you can grind with almost any wheel. Carbid tooling
requires a green wheel for roughing and a diamond wheel to finish the
edge. If you don't finish the edge your surface finishes will be
rougher than they would be with a diamond finished tool. You can also
get a diamond file to finish the edge. On some HSS tooling for special
jobs I use a dremel grinder since I have more control with it.

A 1/3 hp motor is plenty for tool grinding.

John