Bob Haar

Default Accurate cross cuts

On 8/19/03 5:37 PM, "Steve Radoci" wrote:

What is the best piece of equipment to use (and who makes it) to obtain
accurate cross cuts? I have a Sears radial arm saw and it seems like I spend
all my time adjusting it. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Are you asking how to use your RAS better or for recommendations for new
equipment?

I have a 25 year old Sears RAS and it stays in adjustment quite
satisfactorily as long as I change in in the bevel and miter modes. If I
switch to rip mode or move the motor in the vertical mode for surface
planing, then I have to at least check the alignment when I go back to cross
cut mode. The big advantage of a radial arm saw is its flexibility, but you
pay for this in terms of more frequent adjustments.

If you are looking for recommendations that involve other equipment, then I
would suggest a miter saw (chop saw) dedicated to cross cutting smaller
width pieces or a table saw with a cross cut sled. If you work with large
width pieces, then you might invest in a panel saw.