Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Motor - Generator question

Voltage, ratings, and frequency will depend on the particular needs in
that computer center and that depends on the brand of computers. If it
was just a clean feed of the raw power, it would be pretty much 1:1. But
some of the old systems wanted 400Htz

wrote:
At a local plant, there once was a computer center. The room was fed
with a motor generator to provide clean power to it. I made an
inquiry and the unit might be available.

It has been years since I saw it, but it was a motor, probably 480
3ph, driving a generator with a large flywheel between them.

Any reason not to pursue it? Were the old mainframes run off of
anything other than 60Hz AC?

I am sure that it was a top quality unit when installed. I am hoping
that it would be a upgrade over the ST15 generator run by my 16-2
Lister CS. I am working at getting in there to inspect it.

Bob