Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew Mawson Andrew Mawson is offline

Default etching glass ?

"Huge" wrote in message
On 2008-07-19, Dave Liquorice

wrote:

Probably better to get a couple of sheets of ordinary 6mm plate

glass,
some mild abrasive (Vim etc has been mentioned) and water.

Rounding the
edges or radusing the corners would probably be better done by a

proper
glass merchant who may as well frost it as well.

I've watched a glass merchant make a sheet of PAR (Polished All

Round) and he
did the edges with a fine grindstone - like you would use to sharpen

a chisel.
I'd be quite happy to do it myself now, although this doesn't help

the OP.

(Also cutting glass; Having watched the glass chappie do it, I'm

much happier
about doing it myself.)

[email me at huge {at} huge (dot) org dot uk]

It would be a relatively soft bond (*)carborundum wheel - quite
probably a rubber bonded wheel rather than a vitrious one. If you use
a hard bonded wheel it'll end in tears

(*) the bond of the wheel is what is used to hold the abrasive grains
into a matrix, so 'soft' refers to the holding together power rather
than the hardness of the grains themself.

AWEM

AWEM