Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Adrian is offline

Default etching glass ?

Hi Colin

Colin Wilson wrote:
Anyone know how I can etch a small glass worktop saver cheaply to stop
stray reflections ? - I want to make myself a new "pro" mouse mat :-}

TIA :-}

Stained glass suppliers will carry 'etching cream' which does just what
you want to do... (maybe)
An example is here http://www.tempsfordstainedglass.co.uk - search for
'etch' - but it's £15 + vat for a far bigger tub than you'd ever want.

The etching process does leave the glass slightly rough to the touch -
don;t know if that will affect your mouse 'slideability'.

I don't know if the cream contains Hydroflouric acid - but whatever it
contains, it's covered with elfin safety warnings - take great care with
it - they're not joking!

Your friendly local glass supplier might be able to sand-blast it for
you - or use some very fine wet-and-dry paper with water. Problem will
be in getting a uniform finish (whatever technique you use)

You used to be able to get 'non-reflective' glass - picture-framers used
it - might be worth asking - you might get an offcut for next-to-nothing
- but you'd need to treat the cut edges to take off the sharpness

If you were over her in Ireland then I could probably help - but postage
between here & there is a killer !

Regards
Adrian - www.inspired-glass.com