Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada clare at snyder dot ontario dot canada is offline

Default Soldering a tractor radiator (disaster story)

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:32:57 -0700, "William Noble"
wrote:

"RoyJ" wrote in message
What Tim said. But the flux must be ACID. My local weld shop has some
proprietary formula stuff that works great but good old HCl has merit.

good catch - I didn't think of mentioning ACID flux - I've had good luck
with the paste stuff sold for soldering copper pipes - it's a little easier
to work with (well, a LOT easier to work with) than liquid HCL, and with a
wire brush (by hand) and some heat it will clean up a solder joint nicely
for resoldering.

You REALLY want Zinc Chloride - or "cut acid" HCL with as much zinc
as it will disolve.