Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Soldering a tractor radiator (disaster story)

William Noble wrote:
"

I'm going to have a good search for places this weekend, then call around
on Monday.

Does anyone know if the new replacement Super Major radiators on sale are
good, or cheap crap from the Far East?

I guess Ford may still sell a suitable replacement.

Best wishes,

Chris

I really think that if it is ONLY bad seams you are far far better off
getting it fixed, whether you do it or a shop does it. you can solder over
crud if you put on flux, heat and use a wire brush (the things that look
like a tooth brush) to work the flux into the crud and lift it off. then add
some solder and tin, when an area finally gets nicely tinned, move on to the
next area

On balance I don't think I'm going to chuck the radiator for the time
being. Probably I'll hang on to it even if I buy a new one.

Chris