Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy Christopher Tidy is offline

Default Soldering a tractor radiator (disaster story)

Pete C. wrote:
Christopher Tidy wrote:

Ignoramus20788 wrote:

Sorry to hear this sad story. Since radiator shops do such repairs
for peanuts, comparatively speaking, I do not even consider any DIY
radiator repairs. Once I had a very broken radiator (off of a cummins
L 4 2 3 D engine) that the radiator shop fixed in a day for $45.

I asked around, but couldn't find anyone locally. Everyone just said
chuck it and buy a new one. Maybe radiator shops are an American thing?

At least I tried :-).

Chris

Possibly a US thing, but if you can find one they sure save a lot of
hassles. I had a radiator on an old backhoe with several leaks, etc.
that I took to a local radiator shop. They returned it repaired,
pressure tested and spotlessly re-blacked in a day for like $80. Come to
think of it, I believe that $80 also covered the hydraulic oil cooler
too. Having the right skills, tools and materials makes all the
difference.

I'm going to have a good search for places this weekend, then call
around on Monday.

Does anyone know if the new replacement Super Major radiators on sale
are good, or cheap crap from the Far East?

I guess Ford may still sell a suitable replacement.

Best wishes,

Chris