Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP EricP is offline

Default etching glass ?

On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 23:33:06 +0100, Tim S wrote:

Colin Wilson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Hydrofluoric acid which is deadly and should be steered clear of.

I knew there was an acid that did it, but couldn't remember what it
was - it's probably also a biatch to get hold of...

It's very very nasty. Not at all like conc. nitric or sulphuric. Something
about where the fluoride ions go after they hit your skin - and how fast...

Apparently involves having appendages amputated if not flushed off quicky.
Not a chemist - just read the safety leaflet once.

google "hydrofluoric acid burns"

I'm totally mad, but I wouldn't go near the stuff.

Cheers

Tim

Years ago I was walking around a Clarke-Eaton glass factory and was
shown the blasting section where one little man did the artistic stuff
and good he was. But next to him was a large sheet of glass, flat on
the floor. It had a putty like stuff making an edging to dam a liquid
that had been poured over it. There it was right by the walkway, no
signs, nothing. Any passer could have triped and fallen right in it.
It was HF acid. )