Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default What is this wood hammer for?

"Doc" wrote

Years ago I bought a toolbox from someone and there were a couple of
these small hammers made out of wood. The head is maybe 1 - 1 1/2
inches across, a couple of inches long. On one of them the head is
made of what looks like a wood strip that's been wound, the other is
solid. Either of them weigh a few ounces.

What would these be used for?

Lots of things actually. They dont cause 'dents' and so are suitable to use
on a softer wood product to 'nudge it in place'. I have 2 even smaller ones
like you mention (just a few ounces) used when fixing a very antique
shadowbox of a kitchen scene.

I also have a larger one, a wood mallet. I use it to adjust doorframes. I
could use a longish block of wood (stayback) and a metal hammer, but I find
it faster and easier to just use the wood one that doesnt dent.