Posted to alt.home.repair
The Streets The Streets is offline

Default Painting a steel exterior door

"cshenk" wrote in message
Back to this project again! I delayed doing it.

I got some advice from my mom and it seems very sensible to me. She says
she's done this many times and the trick is a fine grade sand paper then a
small thin brush to apply the paint. Smaller the better as wont show brush
marks. No spray paint.

She uses Latex but has no particular brand other than she's partial to
Sherman Williams for exterior (Thompson's water seal for wood things).

Any other tips? I do not plan to remove the door to do this. I do plan
in 2 years or so to have the door and frame removed and replaced with
something nicer (It's the cheapest all white steel prehung done by renters
when they kicked out the nice wood one I had).

I've painted several exterior metal doors recently -- the ocean air here
pretty quickly
attacks any exposed metal. I use emory paper rather than sandpaper on the
rust
spots -- don't know why I pick emory, just always have. Then I brush on a
metal
primer -- typically Rust-o-Leum rusty metal primer. Then brush on the
finish coat.
I use latex. May take several coats to cover well. Oh, and be sure and
mask off the
hardware since you're not removing the door. HTH