Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus31221 Ignoramus31221 is offline

Default cnc-grade rpc's--inneresting story

On 2008-07-18, DrollTroll wrote:

"Ignoramus20788" wrote in message
My phase converter holds voltage better than 5%. That's not because of
some magic, but because the two idlers are big and they have
capacitors attached to both legs.

If you have a big idler, and properly sized run caps, that apply to
both legs, it will have great regulation.

For $100 or $200 you can have a great phase converter.

Run your 10 HP Baldor just like you did, but put 80-100 uF run
capacitors between legs 1-3 and 2-3. Very likely, the output of that,
at low loads like 3 HP, would be extremely well behaved.

Hey Ig,

Leg 3 is the wild leg, right?

I do not like the word wild, but yes.

How big are your idlers?

10 and 7.5 HP

I forgot to mention perhaps the weirdest thing: the wild leg off the Baldor
is LOWER than the 240 V input!! Izzat possible? I'll have to check it
again!

No surprise

In googling diy rpc's, I saw one with 3 panel volt meters. How cool is
DAT??

very cool, I have one and want to install one too.