Tom Veatch

Default Wood Plane Blades question

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 15:17:53 -0500, Ramsey wrote:

=Yes and they ALL need to be thicker steel. I don't know if Ron Hock is
=still in business but he used to sell some great replacement blades.
=See if you can pick up one; it makes a BIG difference.
=
=
=

Hock blades are available in a number of outlets. I just replaced the blade in
my Type 11 Stanley #5 with a Hock A2 Cryogenic.

I haven't quite made up my mind whether it was a good move or not. Before I was
cutting little curly shavings of wood. Now it seems more like I'm shaving off
"fluffies". I suppose that's OK, except they tend to float around the shop and
clog up the air conditioner filter.

Getting that blade made an excellent plane into a superb plane. Next step is to
get one for the jointer and smoother.
Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS