Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default Minor hit/run damage and State Farm

on 7/17/2008 11:57 AM Peetie Wheatstraw said the following:
Went shopping about a week ago. A ziooion cars in front of the bldg.
I parked in the 3rd slot to the side of my super-mkt, where no cars
were. 40 min. later, still no cars, but somebody had banged a
corner of the rear bumper on my '94 Thunderbird.

The 94 TBird does not have a bumper, it has a rubber valance, backed by
some steel framing. What does this damage consist of? Paint scrapes?
Take it to a vehicle detailer, one of those guys that touch up minor
damage and wear for used car dealers. The price will probably be 1/3rd
the cost of replacing and painting the valance.

Dealers estimate is $520 to repair.

State Farm coverage includes (250 ded.) Comprehensive, Collision, and
"Uninsured Motor Vehicle".

State Farm sez my hit/run falls under Collision. Does this sound right?

I've been waiting several days for a call from a SF field-claims
guy ...

The last thing I want to do is **** around with a "State Farm repair"
at a "State Farm shop". I'd like to establish a reasonable cost-
to-repair and have them cut me a check. Is this still done?

I have trouble keeping up with what insurance co's are doing and
not-doing these days.

Thx,
Peetie

--