Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Minor hit/run damage and State Farm

On Jul 17, 5:26*pm, dpb wrote:
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 13:03:04 -0500, dpb wrote:

Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:
So, it is a *documented* hit/run. I was not at fault. State Farm
has the police rept #.
Excepting it's lacking the one critical thing--actual evidence the
purported perpetrator actually did the deed.

Follow up w/ State Farm and get on w/ life...what can any of us here
tell you that's going to do any good whatsoever since you have the tape
and it's not conclusive--the cabbie can claim he was close but never hit
it and unless you can find him and match paint samples or get hard
evidence in some other way all you have is "looks like could have"
footage. *How can you actually prove the damage wasn't pre-existing that
time?

I can't. But the claim is not being decided in a court of law under
strict rules of evidence, etc.

No "at-fault" claims for 10+ years and you think they'd assume I
was perpetrating fraud for a $270 claim? Sheeesh!

No, I was talking about the route of trying to track the perp down and
going the court route -- you would then have to have at least sufficient
evidence to be convincing even if you could find the bum...

My recommendation in the beginning was "follow up w/ SF and get on..."
if you recall. *Which, I see, you did w/ the results I expected.

I'd also find out what the difference in insurance pemium is for a
$1000 deductible vs $250. In most cases it's enough that it makes
sense to take the higher deductible. That way you don't have to
report $500 claims and go through a lot of hassle that could raise
your rates. But with $450 premium, maybe it doesn't make sense.
That rate is one folks here in NJ would love to have. Even with an
excellent record and no accidents, it's hard to get a policy for 2X
that here, even with a high deductible.