Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks Kevin Ricks is offline

Default Installing A Stove

David L. Martel wrote:
Scott,

Are you sure that the new stove is 220v? You don't say in your post
I'd read the installation manual carefully since the sales guy lead you
to believe that there is no neutral wire. I can imagine that the neutral and
ground are connected by a buss link but I can't imagine a stove without a
neutral in the US.
In the old days stoves used a neutral and 2 hot wires. with the ground
attached to the neutral.

Dave M.

I have seen plenty of stove and other 240V wiring without a neutral. 2
hots and ground with the ground wire connected and used as a neutral.
One house I lived in built in the mid '50's had just that. The ground
wire being a few haphazard strands of bare wire in the cable and
connected to the ground bus in the panel.

New 240V wiring is required to be 4 wire. I think most stoves can be
configured to use 3 wire if needed to accommodate the older wiring.
Kevin