Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default -google_groups- Minor hit/run damage and State Farm

wrote:
On Jul 17, 12:34 pm, dpb wrote:
Peetie Wheatstraw wrote:

... ... but somebody had banged a
corner of the rear bumper on my '94 Thunderbird.

State Farm sez my hit/run falls under Collision. Does this sound right?

Well, you're claiming somebody hit it; isn't that (however minor) a
"collision"? Yes, it "sounds right"...

I've been waiting several days for a call from a SF field-claims
guy ...
The last thing I want to do is **** around with a "State Farm repair"
at a "State Farm shop". I'd like to establish a reasonable cost-
to-repair and have them cut me a check. Is this still done?

Depends on who you're dealing with, I reckon...most do have field
claims, but surprised they'd dink around for $500; most will simply ask
for 2-3 estimates, take it where you want, they negotiate an agreed on
repair w/ the body shop...

I haven't dealt w/ State Farm for 30 years, however...

--

I also would not pursue a claim for $520, especially with a $250
deductible. If you don't follow through and actually file, then they

Finding out if the store has a security camera is an excellent idea.
You also should have reported it to the police and gotten a copy of
their report. If the store has a camera, you might get lucky and be
able to identify the license plate number of the car and then be able
to recover from the other party.

Seriously, most police would first ask if anyone was hurt (they are
required to get involved) and the amount of the damages. When the OP
said no and $520 that would say turn it into your insurance.