Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus20788 Ignoramus20788 is offline

Default Got some numbers on the bed wear -- any comments?

rOn 2008-07-18, Ignoramus20788 wrote:
Tried to estimate the bed wear today.

I did the following: placed a digital indicator (0.001mm resolution)
with the magnetic base on the carriage. Its point was resting on the
non-worn part of the bed where the tailstock rides.

I moved it all the way away from the headstock and reset the dial to
zero.

I was hoping that as I moved the carriage along, the indicator would
show a positive number, as the bed would go lower due to its wear
closer to the tailstock.

^^^^^^ headstock, sorry

It indeed happened. The number on the indicator started rising from
zero and rose to 0.05 millimeter (or 0.002 inch).

I repeated the procedure several times, every time the reading would
return to zero as I returned the carriage back away from the
tailstock, and the max reading was consistently 0.05 or 0.06mm, or
0.002 inch.

So, my obvious question is how to read this number, do you think that
the wear is bad or not bad?

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/