Posted to rec.woodworking
PCPaul PCPaul is offline

Default Bike wheel for a bandsaw..

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:17:16 -0700, Father Haskell wrote:

I've seen plywood used. Laminate 2 pieces of 3/4" and install the hub.
Cut out the wheel with a router on a trammel arm. True to the last hair
of a thousandth of an inch with a scraper or file held against the wheel
while turning it (by hand) after installing the wheel in the frame.

Dial-gauge true, or is that pointless with wood? (I expect so)

Glue on a tire, and she's ready to go.

How much do tyres stretch - i.e. do I make it 12" diameter exactly for a
12" tyre, or slightly under, or what?

Balanced wheels turn smoother. Install nuts and bolts where needed to
add weight and reinforce the lamination.

Should be simple enough... although it seems like it would be easier to
balance it by drilling holes or adding screws...