Posted to alt.home.repair
nntp.aieo.org nntp.aieo.org is offline

Default Leaking shower diverter

"default" wrote in message
. ..
Can someone give me a heads-up and/or link to more info on a DIY repair.

I've got a combo tub/shower with a common three-handle arrangement, the
center handle switches from tub faucet to shower. Unfortunately there's
no brand name in sight. I've replaced the rubber washers in the hot and
cold valves numerous times. Lately, the tub faucet dribbles a fair bit in
the shower position. I think it's getting gradually worse and I'd like to
fix it.

My shower is tiled, and there's no easy access to the back side of the
plumbing; the other side of the wall is in a closet, covered with
drywall. I'm hoping to get some knowledge before attacking this. Is this
a reasonable DIY repair? Simple like a washer, or hard like replacing the
entire valve assembly? Will I find repair parts in the big box or
hardware store? Can it be done from the front? If not, maybe by breaking
though the drywall on the other side of the wall? Is this going to lead
to a bathroom remodel?

TIA,
Joel

As mentioned in another post--go through the closet wall to get at the
shower hardware. Same setup in my closet except when built they put a piece
of plywood over the opening to serve as an access to the back of the shower
plumbing.
MLD