Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Koblic Michael Koblic is offline

Default Home insurance and metalworking

Thankfully we do not have HOAs here.

The issue would not have arisen had I not been in the process of renewing my
policy and the question of "home business" came up. I have sold some of my
pieces to the total of less than $100 in a year. I did not set out to profit
from what I do. Calling it "business" is somewhat presumptious.

Now I am waiting for the insurance company to clarify their position via the
broker.

I do not see much point speculating on the outcome, but I was interested
what others' experience was in this direction.

Will they stop me doing what I do if I sell the stuff, i.e. is it OK if i
keep it or give it away? Will they put restricitions on the level of income?
Will they put restrictions on the type of process that can be employed, e.g
welding?

I shall know in a few days.

--
Michael Koblic,
Campbell River, BC

"Joe Pfeiffer" wrote in message
Al Patrick writes:

It might depend on where it is in the home, should they find out.
Detached garage shouldn't bother as much as in the basement. You
*may* want to be sure that the house is even covered under such
conditions. Some may have a clause restricting any commercial
activities. Check your home owner's association. They may be way
tougher than the insurance companies some time.

The HOA would be a very different animal than the insurance
company... and the concern with them would be complaints before the
house burned down, not after. That actually brings up a short story:
a while ago, a neighbor asked me if I'd mind if he put up carport in
front of his garage. I looked at him blankly, and he reminded me that
it's a violation of the covenants in our neighborhood. I said, "oh,
yeah -- see that metal shed in my back yard?" I figure nobody in the
neighborhood can complain about anybody else, because we're all in
violation of the convenants somehow.

As for coverage in the event of a fire... hmm... maybe I should read
my policy.