Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.home.repair
Gene S. Berkowitz[_2_] Gene S. Berkowitz[_2_] is offline

Default Windex kills ants but leaves my walls blue (better idea?)

In article , bashley101
says...

Susan wrote:

I have an ant infestation and I spray windex to kill the swarms of tiny
ants but it takes so much to kill ants that the carpets, walls, and grout
turns blue from the dye in the commercial window cleaner.

Do you know if I just buy ammonia and mix it at the correct percentage that
it will still kill ants without staining my carpets blue?

What percentage of ammonia would you use?
Do you know HOW ammonia kills the ants?

It doesn't at my house.

Is there a better way to kill an ant infestation?

Terro bait stations work wonders, but are expensive. Ortho Home Defense
spray is excellent -- water-based, odorless.

Expensive?

http://www.terro.com/products.php?pr...uid_ant_killer

That's enough to keep your house ant free for many, many years.

I've only seen it in little trays that look kind of like
cheez-n-crackers packs for maybe a buck each. I tried mixing borax with
corn syrup, but it didn't work. Little *******s clearly know the
difference.

Many of the small ants aren't looking for sugar, they want fats.
Try mixing boric acid into some melted chicken fat, then let it
solidify.

Too much boric acid is gritty to the ants, and they'll avoid it.

I filled a small container lid with that mixture, and the ants were ten
deep trying to get to it. They worked for 3 days and left it totally
clean. They didn't come back.

--Gene