Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default laminate flooring

on 7/16/2008 7:41 PM HeyBub said the following:
h wrote:

"Don & Lucille" wrote in message

What skill level required to do laminate flooring? Can the average
home woner tackle this job? Any tricks? Hints?

Don't use laminate. Spend the extra $1/sq. ft. to buy real hardwood.
The first time you find a wet spill on the floor you'll be glad you
did.

Wet? I took a piece of laminate flooring and submerged it in a glass of
water for over a month.

I couldn't tell it had ever gotten wet!

It doesn't discolor, swell, break, buckle, or deform.

What brand? I have Formica laminate flooring in one room and Armstrong
laminate flooring in an adjacent room. Both on the same level.
The Formica has held up well, even with my soft mouth Golden Retriever
dripping water all over. The Formica flooring is about 20 years old. It
is in a room that was accessible to the outside about 3 years ago before
I had a sunroom installed outside this room.
I have Armstrong laminate flooring in that sunroom, which is also
accessible to the outside, and after 3 years, the edges of the flooring
are curling around the two doors to the outside, all from wet shoes
entering the room, and the GR dripping from the mouth when the water
dish is in there.
The Formica flooring is regularly wet mopped. I wouldn't dare wet mop
the Armstrong flooring.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY