Posted to alt.home.repair
Harlan Messinger Harlan Messinger is offline

Default Putting up drywall

benick wrote:
To tape butts you apply paper or self adhesive fiber tape as usual and
then go down both sides of butt joint with your 12 inch trowl or
knife.Let dry. Scrape the ridge of mud you leave in the center( when you
went down both sides) off with your 6 inch knife and coat the center of
the butt with your 12 inch trowl/knife. Let dry. Now scrape it down
again and go down both sides again with your 12 or 14 inch trowl/knife.
Sand as usual...Good luck with your project...Another little tip for
ya...Buy a REAL drywall screwgun and Roto-Zip drywall router to cut out
outlets , windows ect. You'll thank youself...Believe me...LOL...If you
need advice on Roto -Zipping outlets just ask.......

A couple of naive questions:

1. Why don't the drywall makers just taper all four sides to give
builders even fewer butt joints to work with?

2. Why can't you taper a squared edge? I know it removes the paper, but
then you're taping over it anyway.