Posted to rec.woodworking
Tanus Tanus is offline

Default OT science question

sweet sawdust wrote:
I am teaching a summer program at a local community college and one of the
other instructors is working on her Dr's. degree. The paper she has to
write asks the question: Why are we/people afraid of science/scienists?
Would anyone like to comment on this? I will give her all the serious
answers or remarks that any one would like to post before 9 pm Thursday
evening. I thought that this might be a fun thing to vent about rather then
the usual whose the worst candiate stuff going around.

A few things come to mind. They're loosely connected I suppose, but
there could be a myriad of reasons why some people may be threatened by
science or scientists. My interpretation would be "threatened by" rather
than "afraid of". Maybe they're close enough to mean the same.

1. Previous perception of arrogance by "higher intellect"
2. The mystery of science unexplained is unknown, therefore a threat
and/or fear.
3. Science might be at odds with religious beliefs, therefore creating
an unsurpassable paradox. (ie. Evolution vs. strict biblical interpretation)
4. Results of science lead to lifestyle choices and/or changes. (ie
belief global warming and the changes that ensues)

There's a starter list. I'm sure there are many more.

--

Tanus

http://www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/