Posted to uk.d-i-y
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default B&Q kitchen units

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Things to avoid, apart from all the apparent delivery problems.

Assembled 2 wall units & a three drawer base unit yesterday & today
(amongst other things like worktops & sinks).

Customer had bought the 'Select' range of units because she wanted the
wood veneer end panels rather than the 'IT' range which are white.

First thing, they have a new (to me) design of cam dowel & lock. The cam
dowels & locks where already installed in the appropriate panels & the
dowels had rubber sleeves on the ends. The concept seems to be that the
rubber sleeve expands when the cam lock is turned.

No ability to 'close' the join. Had to clamp them together then do up the
cam locks. And what happens in a few years when the rubber perishes?

The base unit for the drawers really confused me. The drawer box
instructions said to use wood screws in the 'pre marked positions' to
attach the drawer runners. No 'pre marked positions' could be found, only
holes for Euro screws.

The Euro screw holes where clearly in the wrong places. Call to the help
line resulted in a clueless **** who offered to send me some Euro screws
(which I carry anyway).

Eventually managed to fettle it & get a good fit. Popped into B&Q on the
way home to find out that the 'Select' range & the 'IT' range use entirely
different - non compatible drawer box systems.

Shame they didn't bother to tell my customer when she ordered a 'Select'
base and 3 'IT' drawer boxes. Shame the 'help line' didn't have a bloody
clue.

Come back Wickes - all is forgiven...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Have you lost your Wickes then ? I have just bought a ****load of kitchen
units from my local Wickes. They came from the 'Take it now' range, and were
on half price offer. I gotta tell you that I thought they were the most
fantastic value for money I have ever seen. All of the carcases are really
solidly made, and everything fitted exactly as it was designed to. There was
a huge surplus of screws and bits and pieces with every unit, and the
instructions were clear, concise, and well printed. The doors, which come
with the units, have a beautiful level of detail and finish, and even have
solid and very elegant metal knobs. Absolutely everything that could be
adjustable - including drawer fronts - is, and those adjustments do exactly
as it says they should in the instructions. I couldn't have bought the doors
or carcases on their own from B&Q for the same price.

Even now they have gone back up to the normal price, they are still offering
33% discount on 200 quid's worth, and 45% on 300. Well done Wickes. I'm well
pleased with mine.

Arfa