Silvan

Default Variable Speed Drill Press

Ramsey wrote:

Why do most people seem either to not know of or not posess a
cross-vise or indexing vise? I love mine. It takes away all the little
tapping and cussing normally associated with aligning something.
Grizzlty has one for around $60 and while it is not a work of art, it
surely takes a lot of hassle out of drilling.

It's one of the many things I have to swap out. If I need to do a big
piece, it has to come off.

Actually, that gizmo is the main reason why I traded up for a big DP. On a
benchtop, it just ate so much room that I couldn't do much with it.

As it turned out, I bought a DP without really doing the mental spatial
relationship thing. It has a T-slot table, and there was no way I could
bolt that thing to it without the bolts completely getting in the way. So
I cobbled together this horror out of a couple piece of angle iron and a
couple pieces of steel plate all bolted and pop riveted together (I can't
weld) as an adapter.

It works, but the assembly is extremely heavy. Once the fancy vise comes
off, it takes me awhile to get around to putting it back on.

Otherwise, yes, I absolutely love the thing. It makes it easy for my son to
do stuff with the DP too. I'll mark spots and let him crank around until
he has drilled all the holes. Fun for him, and less work for Daddy.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 17246 Approximate word count: 517380