Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default GFI Question

on 6/30/2008 10:49 AM TWayne said the following:
In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 6/29/2008 9:39 AM Patch spake thus:

I have a GFI installed at our lily pool. The pumps are the only
things running off it. I ran a line out to my tool shed and
according to the instructions for the GFI, the shed should also be
protected by the GFI. The other day I went out to the tool shed,
the grass was wet with dew and I was just wearing house slippers, I
suspect my feet were slightly damp. I grabbed
the power cord of a battery charger to unplug it. Apparently mice
had chewed
the insulation on the cord and I grabbed the bare wire and got
knocked on my
butt. Why didn't the GFI protect me?

I can't believe nobody asked the obvious question he is the outlet
wired correctly? You say you "ran a line out to my tool shed" off the
GFCI outlet, and everyone assumed you did this correctly; did you?

In order to protect things "downstream" of the outlet, those things
have to be connected to the "load" connections of the GFCI device.
If you just wired the shed into the "line" side, nothing on that
line will be protected.

John Grabowski's reply included that question, six hours ago. Perhaps
his post hasn't made it to you yet.

IMO since the OP hasn't come back even and hasn't answered any of the
questions they rate being asked again so he'll see them and realize
answers should be forthcoming. IMO it's all been said til he responds.

Maybe he touched the bare wires again with more dire consequences.
Someone should call 911! :-)

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY