Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Hill[_2_] Chris Hill[_2_] is offline

Default T&G Kitchen Ceiling - Directly to Joists????

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 09:55:17 -0700 (PDT), infiniteMPG
wrote:

I think I'd want sheetrock up first. *Reason is that it is somewhat of a fire barrier, and is probably required by code.

Found this in the Florida Building Code :

B3.3.2 Wood sheathing. Wood sheathing panels shall be
considered air infiltration barriers when applied to a frame
wall underneath an exterior finish and the following sealing
requirements are met:

Looks like that they are talking exterior. I'd still put sheetrock
behind it, it would keep a kitchen fire out of the attic for a few
more minutes.