Posted to alt.home.repair
Jordan[_4_] Jordan[_4_] is offline

Default Putting up drywall

On Jul 15, 8:24*pm, "benick" wrote:
wrote in message

On Jul 14, 10:00 pm, "benick" wrote:

"kzin" wrote in message

m...

On 14-Jul-2008, Jordan wrote:

I guess I need some more advice, for those of you that do taping.
Whats easier for a beginner, five 8ft verticle joints or one 16ft
horizontal and two butt joints? Thats my choices for a given wall.
8ft boards are my only option.

The second is preferable by far. It's really a no brainer.

Out of the 5 studs you are gonna put joints on, how many are "true". That
means straight AND plumb? Not many, if any at all is my bet. Good luck
with
that... When you stand up rock the framing has to be nearly perfect.
Besides
16 feet of EASY taping(4 feet off the floor) and 2 butts is ALOT less work
then 40 feet of up and down not to mention all the extra time and work of
getting the sheets to land PERFECT every 4 feet when you are hanging it..
Lay
them down and I will help you through taping the butts then you can make
fun
of others that can't do butts like I do....LOL.... I am on here almost
every
night during the Redsox games....

Does it matter if the butt joint falls on a stud? *Should you trim the
drywall so that all joints fall on a stud?

Yes ALWAYS break butts on a stud....Cut the sheet unless 8 feet lands right.
Sometimes you get lucky...Try to keep the top butt and bottom butt a couple
of studs apart like you would if you were sheathing a wall or roof with
plywood.Screws every 6 inches on the butt joint. Keep the cut edge towards
the corner and *put the factory butts in the butt joint...

I almost finished hanging the drywall and have a question about the
screws. I went about every 8 inches. I read in a few articles to start
the first screw down about 7 inches from the top, which I did. But as
I look back Im wondering if there shouldn't be a screw closer to the
top of the board. Im gonna do a drop ceiling if that matters.
Thanks for all the help
Jordan