Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Landscaping timbers -- life expectancy?

On Jul 16, 12:47Â*am, BobK207 wrote:
On Jul 15, 7:07Â*am, " wrote:

On Jul 15, 9:55�am, Reno wrote:

The other posters all made good points but the question of tiebacks has not
been addressed. Almost all retaining walls need some sort of tieback into
the soil being supported to prevent the wall from collapsing outwards..
Tiebacks are labour intensive to install. Will this make the project more
than you had in mind or change the material being considered?

Perhaps you should Google "retaining walls" to learn more about all of the
issues. Material is actually the least of the concerns. If the wall is more
than a few feet high or close to expensive things it could also be a safety
issue and the building inspection department will get involved.

the best wall is no wall, slope the grade to the angle of natural
repose, and plant ground cover.

every wall fails sooner or later.

except mine that i removed

HB-

Why do you continue to post this nonsense about walls?

"every wall fails sooner or later."

I suppose this might be true if you consider "later" Â*in terms of
"geologic time"

or code minimum designed walls subjected to high ground accelerations
(earthquakes) or high winds

but going beyond the code minimums will give you a pretty high
probably of the wall outlasting the owner or builder.

I personally have been involved in the design & construction of a few
walls (some even before I knew how to design them)

none of them have "failed".....yeah I've seen a lot of walls that have
failed but probably 100x as many that have not.

My "seat of pants walls" are over 40 years old & still standing (one
is a retaining wall)

my designed walls will last much longer,

The "wall / fence" that I took down & replaced did indeed "fail" at
least according to my standards ...
Poor design, stucco over wood frame on a heavy concrete foundation,
termites destroyed the wood framing but the stucco held up.

When I finally had torn down it was 78 years old and I really could
have probably repaired / rebuilt it to last another 50.
But instead I chose to replace it with this wall

8" block with #5's @24" on a 14" x 34" deep footing, #5's top &
bottom; all cells grouted with 3000psi min

so I guess this wall will fail, but I doubt anyone on this newsgroup
will live to see it happen
maybe my grandchildren might but I doubt it

So please stop this Â*"every wall fails sooner or later" nonsense, Â*it
just isn't true.

cheers
Bob- Hide quoted text -

everyone I know who has a wall is either rebuilding it, just rebuilt
it, or its looking bad. perhaps its pittsburghs freezing weather?

currently i have 2 walls, the longer rock wall has been rebuilt 3
times since 1972. its starting to move again, its next move is hauled
out of here.

few will be willing to spend the bucks for a proper footer, and heavy
construction necessary for a long lasting wall. any wall with wood is
a waste of effort, heck even creosote timbers fail eventually.

I helped tear out a really well constucted 50 year old wall, with 5
foot deep footers it still failed.

we chipped the top of the footer off and let grass cover it.

I stand by all walls fail.

as a test how many older walls in your neighborhood still look good?