Posted to alt.home.repair
franz fripplfrappl franz fripplfrappl is offline

Default who makes a good dehumidifier?

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 07:25:46 -0400, Nate Nagel wrote:

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 14:08:38 -0700, N8N wrote:

Subject says all... need a dehumidifier, preferably quiet and with low
temp operability. After searching on Amazon, I can't find a single
brand that I feel confident purchasing. Probably the one with the
least negative reviews was Frigidaire and I'll be returning one of
those this afternoon because it doesn't work properly and Frigidaire
apparently doesn't have real customer service personnel, only an
annoying automated answering system.

is there *anything* that doesn't suck? Anything at all? All I see are
comments like "I had this for two weeks and it died" "loud, rattly POS"
"doesn't really have a deice feature, just shuts off until the ice
melts" yadda yadda yadda.

nate

Research Products, Madison, WI, makes a unit called the Aprilaire 1700
Whole-Home Dehumidifier Santa Fe. It is expensive but it removes 95
pints per day. A friend just bought one and we are both amazed at how
well it works. She paid $1100 for hers but I've seen them for less.

The thing is, I don't really need a huge one. That's the problem I have
with most of the ones I've seen... if it's going to be running only a
few minutes per day, I don't want the fan running all the time wasting
all that electricity. But thanks for the recommend, that's another
brand I hadn't heard of, so I'll check it out, see if they make
something smaller.

nate

I have a smaller unit that runs constantly and costs $20 a month to
operate. Ouch! Mine supposedly is sized to the basement, too.

If I were choosing a unit again, I'd consider what it will cost to
operate and go with most energy efficient model there is. Even with a
higher initial cost, over the long run you would save money and recoup
the cost quickly.

Franz Fripplfrappl