Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default solid red oak vs. red oak plywood colour difference

"Student" wrote in message
I am practicing frame and panel doors. I assembled a small one, where
frame is a solid red oak and the panel 1/4" red oak plywood. I only
applied a danish oil finish, natural, no stain. Then I noticed that
the plywood is much darker than the solid wood, the difference that
wasn't noticeable before applying the finish.

I assembled another door. While cleaning the polyurethane glue off the
door with the paint thinner, I noticed that the reddish color came off
the plywood when I swiped it with the paint thinner cloth. Are
plywoods stained? Is this a natural wood pigment that comes out
because of the very thin veneer?

Please tell me: Other than applying darker stain, is there a way to
keep the same natural color of plywood and solid oak after the finish?
Many thanks.

Is your plywood panel oak on both sides? Often thinner oak plywood had Luan
on the back side. Luan is a red colored wood. Typically Red Oak will look
"Pinkish" when sanded but that color goes away when the finish is applied.