Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] nicksanspam@ece.villanova.edu is offline

Default bending galvanized pipe

dpb wrote:
franz fripplfrappl wrote:
dpb wrote:

franz fripplfrappl wrote:
I have some galvanized sections for a hoop greenhouse which need to be
bent and/or straightened. The tubing is 2" OD. Any suggestions how to
bend or straighten the pipe?

... It's galvanized pipe. Uncertain of gauge. Pipes are 10' in length.
As a guess, not sure of radius of bend but would guess 3-6'.

As in Sch 40 galvanized water pipe, EMT, ... ??? How much takes to bend
will be pretty much dependent on what you're trying to bend...

I have 2 14'x96' greenhouses with 1" galvanized water pipe bows on 4'
centers. Each bow is a 21' pipe with 3 bends, about 45 degrees, to make
a gothic arch with 3 corners. These $800 greenhouse kits came from Schwarz
and Sons in Wilmington DE. They sell pipe and noticed that some of their
customers were turning their pipe into greenhouses, so they started doing
that too. They make the bends by hand, with 2 people and some 2x4 blocks
screwed to a large piece of plywood.

Most homebrew greenhouse sections I've seen have used 1-3/8" galvanized
top chain link fence rail which is 18-16(?) gauge.

I use that swedged pipe for roll-up sides.

Nick