Posted to rec.woodworking
Phisherman Phisherman is offline

Default solid red oak vs. red oak plywood colour difference

On Wed, 16 Jul 2008 02:35:03 -0700 (PDT), Student
wrote:

I am practicing frame and panel doors. I assembled a small one, where
frame is a solid red oak and the panel 1/4" red oak plywood. I only
applied a danish oil finish, natural, no stain. Then I noticed that
the plywood is much darker than the solid wood, the difference that
wasn't noticeable before applying the finish.

Unless wood is from the same tree, matching color and pattern can be
difficult or nearly impossible.

I assembled another door. While cleaning the polyurethane glue off the
door with the paint thinner, I noticed that the reddish color came off
the plywood when I swiped it with the paint thinner cloth. Are
plywoods stained? Is this a natural wood pigment that comes out
because of the very thin veneer?

Maybe. I have not heard manufacturer's staining ply, nor have I
experienced this. A rag dampened with thinner should not wipe off any
color.

Please tell me: Other than applying darker stain, is there a way to
keep the same natural color of plywood and solid oak after the finish?
Many thanks.

There are numerous books about finishing. Generally, to even out
color differences the piece is stained.