Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Switch between motor and VFD

Ignoramus19502 wrote:

So, everyone is saying that it is bad to place a switch between a
motor and a VFD (if it is switched when running, of course).

I am sure that it is true, but I am not sure why. Also, is there
something that can be done to mitigate a switch between VFD and
motor being switched when running.

The question is not entirely idle in nature and pertains to my lathe.

Why don't you do the right thing and wire the motor direct to the VFD
and wire the control switch to the VFD's control side, including the
dual speeds? The VFD's do have the option of control line selected
multiple speeds you know...