Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rawlplug just turning, how can I get a grip?

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"TMC" writes:

Although the outer leaf of the wall is brick the inner could be lots
of things e.g breezeblock (ok) or thermalite (very soft), the
plaster could be direct to the wall or dot and dab (therefore a gap
between the plaster and the blockwork behind

You may need to investigate a bit more

For thermalite type blocks, don't use a masonary bit or hammer action.
You want a clean cut parallel hole, for which they suggest using a
HSS bit (not masonary).

Interesting that. In newish houses I always start by using a multi material
drill without hammer. 80% of the time that does the job & a universal plug
works a treat. I only switch the hammer action on if necessary. Very few
problems.

Yes, my own rule, even in old houses, is to try without hammer
action first.

--
Andrew Gabriel