Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus19502 Ignoramus19502 is offline

Default Switch between motor and VFD

On 2008-07-15, Karl Townsend wrote:
If I put the lathe on the VFD, everything would work well, I would
switch the VFD with the ON/OFF/BRAKE lever connected to its control
terminals.

It would work great, except:

This is all problem AS LONG AS I do not try to flip the
REV2/REV1/OFF/FWD1/FWD2 switch during running. If I ever do so, the
drive may be ruined as I would switch the motor live with VFD powered.

I've got this exact setup on my 10EE. Once/year I forget and go from forward
to reverse. It trips the VFD out. OVC alarm code, IIRC. Just reset the VFD
and go. No big deal.

This would be plain awesome if that was the case. A trip is a
perfectly fine response. I am delighted at your answer.

I have a VFD that looks bad due to cracked cover, hard to sell (5 HP
Toshiba), I think that I will wire it, it is a 1 hour job at
most. Worst case, I will lose it. Best case, the lathe would be much
more useful and valuable due to not needing the phase converter, the
noise, and all of that.

posting on Usenet.
http://improve-usenet.org/