Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default Switch between motor and VFD

On Jul 15, 8:11*am, Ignoramus19502 ignoramus19...@NOSPAM.
19502.invalid wrote:
So, everyone is saying that it is bad to place a switch between a
motor and a VFD (if it is switched when running, of course).

I am sure that it is true, but I am not sure why. Also, is there
something that can be done to mitigate a switch between VFD and
motor being switched when running.

The question is not entirely idle in nature and pertains to my lathe.

Yes, there certainly is something that can be done.

Wire your VFD directly to your lathe motor, with five foot leads.
Now, wire your switch to control your VFD, using three foot leads.
Mount the VFD as far away from your motor as the leads will allow.
Now, stretch the leads to the switch in the direction of the motor,
and mount the switch there. Your switch will be between your VFD and
your motor, and all will be fine.

John Martin