Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Island Countertop Overhang Problem

On Jul 10, 3:30*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Mikepier wrote:
On Jul 10, 12:27 pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
wrote:
I made a poor design choice and ordered an island/peninsula in my
kitchen with a 9" overhang for use as a breakfast bar. Once the
quartz countertop was installed, it was obvious that 9" was too
shallow, and I should have gone for at least 12" or 13" to make it a
comfortable place to eat.

So, I need some help on options. I can replace the piece of
countertop for $900, which is really expensive to me, so I'm trying
to think of a "workaround".

My thought is to pull the countertop forward 4" and then fill the
gap with the existing 4" backsplash (of the same material), laid on
the flat. However, that would create a visible seam running the
entire length of the countertop (63") where the two pieces join. So
I had the thought to cover the seam with a long "appliance garage"
that would sit directly on top of the counter and cover the seam.
But to cover the entire seam, the cabinetry would have to extend to
the edge of the countertop, which is 9" beyond the edge of the base
cabinets. (That nine inches comprises the overhang.) Would this
look silly, or can what's above the countertop act "independently"
of what's below the cabinet, design-wise?

I did a Photoshop mockup of the two design possibilities, with one
showing a fictitious representation of the seam that would be
visible if the cabinetry did not extend to the edge. (See the blue
arrow.)

Any ideas??

Personally, I wouldn't want 12" or 13" - or even 9" - of granite
hanging out in space unless it is resting on something. Especially
at $900 per pop.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico-Hide quoted text -

Why not? Its perfectly fine provided that you span 24" of counter
before hanging over 12", and provided the granite is 1 1/4" thick.
Almost every granite place I called while doing my kitchen said the
same thing.

Rock has fractures, cleavage planes, etc. *IOW, rock breaks (can break)..
Even 1 1/4 granite, supported area doesn't provide any support for that
hanging out. *Will it break? *Probably not. *Can it break? *Absolutely.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico- Hide quoted text -

The granite suppliers I recently talked to about a project said up to
12" unsupported overhang was OK with std granite, ie 1 1/2"