Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Gareth Magennis Gareth Magennis is offline

Default PROBLEM: CD Player Digital Output

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
m...

"EADGBE" wrote in message

OK, I remembered that one of my other CD players--a Magnavox CDB650--
also has a digital output.

I patched it into the Yamaha preamp and got the same results--no right
channel sound.

I also tried another cable (dumb, I know--I'm still thinking
"analog"!) and got the same results.

I also tried using another one of the preamp's digital inputs and got
the same results.

So I can safely say that the fault lies somewhere inside the preamp.

Time to get out the hammer and duct tape......

Far be it from me to say I told you so, so I won't.

Actually your original instincts were right. Digital either works or it
doesn't.

Gareth.

As for the cause of the problem in tha pre-amp, one can only speculate even
more, we know how much fun that is. If you have a scope you can just follow
the signals from the D/A converter output onwards until one dissapears.

Could be anything at all really. It might be worth tapping and banging
things to see if it's a mechanical intermittent, other than that it's just
plain fault tracing. Could just be a selector switch. But I'm just
speculating again aren't I. Tch.

Gareth.